The Hamel Happy Hour

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

National Hampoon's German Vacation Pt. 3 The Castles.

I love  Bavaria, more importantly I love the Bavaria castles.   I think Ludwig of Bavaria was an amazing and misunderstood man and I for one appreciate his love of fairy tales, swans, and shiny things.

We decided on Linderhof first because it was closest to the resort, the weather was a bit cold, but we were treated to snow capped mountains at the palace.


Hello Mountains!

Lucky for us the weather improved after our castle tour and we were able to bask a bit in some German sunshine and watch the fountain.


But on to the next place.    Not a ton of people know about the Weis kirche (White Church) but it's getting more popular, they have just installed paid parking near the pilgrimage church.   I love this church because it's kind of in the middle of nowhere and looks pretty plan from the outside, and then it surprises you with views like this.

That's the gateway into heaven up near the top, and the whole church is painted/decorated in this Rococo Style, it's also still used for Sunday services and weddings. 

And now to my favorite place.   Neuschwanstein Castle, when we first got here someone told me I would be disappointed at the castle.   They can choke on it.   I was disappointed that I had to walk all the way up but it's always worth it.   



We stopped at the Aichen rest stop on the way home and Shana was impressed that not only can you get real food at the rest stops, but you can get pretty nice Alaskan Cod.

No comments:

Post a Comment