The Hamel Happy Hour

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My experience with the Germans

Today was started out incredibly rough.  I was lonely, and crabby.  I woke up at two.  Bleh.   Around 7 I was able to Skype a bestie back home and get the new dish on some good drama, which was great.     The housekeepers came and I finally got a hold of my sponsor's wife Michelle to get a ride to the commissary.   My husband was home when I got there and I still was in a funk.   Now one tells you how stressful it is to move to another country, much more when the military is in charge.  I mean I'm sure I'll get used to it the more we do it... but for now it has been sucky.  

I found an apartment, around the middle of September and I emailed the guy letting him know when we land and that we are very interested in his apartment.   He told us to call when we got in, which we did and we played a little phone tag until Phil gave him a call and he volunteered to pick us up in his car and take us to the property.   He took us to the property and told us stories about his family while showing us room by room and telling us what he will personally take care of.

We started talking meat and potatoes about the rental and we offered to draw up a contract tomorrow, but instead of settling with tomorrow he invited us to his house for cake while he did the paperwork.   Turns out it was his wife's 63rd birthday and there was a small dinner party. He introduced to everyone and the sat us down and first gave us an angel food cake layered with cream and then topped with raspberries and gelatin.  We were offered coffee and someone piped in that while it was coffee it was "snipped" or "castrated" on account of it being decaf.   And the whole table erupted in loud laughter. The whipcream brand at the table was called "Milfina" and I tried to explain to a guest named Heinz why it was funny...he chuckled and explained to the other guests, who also chuckled. Peter (the landlord) offered us a slice of cheesecake and continued to give us tips about traveling in the country and good places to eat.  He offered to give us the key ahead of time with out us evening signing the final contract or filling out any application. He even told us not to worry abut the security deposit right away.  And then he gave be his umbrella to borrow and showed us a super short cut back to back to base.  Also it turns out he is a local senator and the manager of a minor league soccer team.  

So far every German I have encountered has been sweet, very polite and incredibly helpful.   Also .the Germans are super funny.   I'm super glad we met Peter the most hospitable and relaxed landlord EVER.  

No comments:

Post a Comment