The Hamel Happy Hour

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

My First Craft Post.

Summer is wonderful, but Fall is where it's at.   More specifically Halloween, I like having an excuse to bear my macabre side a bit more than usual.   And because I couldn't wait to get started on my crafting this year I give you the Halloween Ribbon Hanging.

Materials:
A yard long wooden dowel
Ribbon in different patterns and widths.  I used five different types of ribbon in all different patterns
Scissors
A hot glue gun
Something to cap off your dowel ends, I used paper mache skulls
Acrylic craft paint

I painted my skulls first.  I used a blend of 1 part gold to 4 parts cream.

While the dried I cut my ribbon in different lengths and with no set pattern, I found that it's best if there is not more than a three inch difference between ribbon lengths.  After your ribbon is cut go ahead and glue the top of your ribbon to the dowel, I started at the edge of my ribbon and continued adding dots of glue until it's almost all the way around the dowel.

After your ribbon is on the dowel and the glue is cooled  go ahead and dovetail the ends of your ribbon.

To Dovetail:  Pinch the ribbon perfectly in half in your left hand.  Have your ribbon edges pointing down and with the scissors in your right hand cut and cut at an angle and to the left.  Some people prefer a more extreme angle, but it really comes down to what you like.

I then covered my skulls with Martha Stewart glitter paint, I like the Martha Stewart brand over other brands because the glitter is really fine and there is a slight tint to the base paint, and the base paint has a nice thickness to it.  I did a total of four coats and then with my trusty hot glue gun I glued the skulls on just behind the jaw.   I'm not sure if 'm gonna hang it just on the wall or over a door, but it turned out super spooky.   I also think I'm going to do one of these for every holiday I decorate for.


No comments:

Post a Comment