The Hamel Happy Hour

Friday, January 4, 2013

The First Friday Creature Feature!

I decided blog posts are a good way to hold my crafting accountable so we'll try it out.

First out of the gate is a little dragon I made for Phil.
It took me more than a few tries to get a "fire" effect that I liked.   Just a Skinner blend even parts red and yellow.   I used some citrine beads as accents and a little copper bead as his eye. I used a mix of gold and burnt umber acrylic paint as the patina, and I think the final place will be dangling from the rear view mirror.


This creature is my first Octopus done in the style of Christi Friesen from her book, "Under the Sea."  Chocolate pearls for eyes...not actual chocolate 'cause that'd melt in the oven.  This is the first time I used liquid Sculpey for anything other than frosting a polymer cake. I think I'm going to add some on top of the Octo, to give him, hopefully it'll turn out more like water droplets, I'm pretty new to clay, so more often than out it's a cross your fingers game.

I love the Christi Friesen books.   LOVE THEM, her books have been the single best push to use my own creativity and a real boost to my confidence with polymer clay.  Her gallery and products are located here.

www.cforiginals.com

I recommend them to anyone wanting to try polymer clay, her style of writing is humorous and every project is pretty well open to interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment