The Hamel Happy Hour

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

8/22/12


Since vacation, my life has been fairly uneventful...just the way I like it.  Truth is I'm only writing now because the *Vicoden I took hasn't knocked me out like usual.

This block of time in my life is very much not my favorite.  My husband is gone and I'm living in my parent's house ( it's not like a dungeon or anything, but after having my own place and things the way I like living with your folks is lame.)

However during this time I've done a lot of things that a lot of people have never taken the time to do.

When it has been a hot day I've watched hummingbirds from the back swing fly way way up, by the tops of the pines and then bullet downwards making a sonic sort of peep as they almost clip another bird.  I've walked barefoot through the garden with soft warm smells of things growing filled my nose.   I've learned that  gooseberries are delicious...but they also have razor sharp thorns.

I made a bird friend "Freddy" who used to fly into the house and onto my shoulder and into my hand, I felt his little heart flutter in my palm while his bright black eyes looked back at me.  I've made bouquets from the roses and dahlias and other things I had found.  I've squeezed my own lemonade...and then added our own strawberries to sweeten it.

Just this week I've caught 11 butterflies.   I also learned that it's very important to make sure there not bees near your butterfly or you'll catch them too.

I've looked at the Milky Way and planets, watched a meteor shower, counted satellites.  I've smelled every single rose bush by the house.

I'm glad I haven't grown up yet, and as it stands I'm not planning on it any time soon.


* The Vicoden is because I have a few gnarly burns on both arms and one on my back...when I rollover at night it feels like someone has taken a potato peeler to my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment