The Hamel Happy Hour

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Adventures in Anxiety Pt. 2

Landon decided that 4 am is an awesome time to poke and prod and talk to Mommy.  About 5:30 was when I decided that more sleep wasn't going to happen.   I got up and got ready talked with my uncle Landon and Cathleen finally fall back to sleep just as the other kids are trickling downstairs while Uncle Tony gets working on breakfast.   Mckenna the 10 year old starts pitching a fit about her underwear which apparently didn't get packed...we deduced that she didn't actually bring it downstairs.   Breakfast is going just fine and then that metabolic energy hits and we get to go into a metal box again.

Idaho is mega boring.   We did see a few pronghorn and a roadkill cougar but other than that nothing but foot hills and sagebrush.   Landon was not happy and screamed a lot more this ride, but I guess if I were a three year old I wouldn't be super stoked either...it's just that with his ODD he doesn't care whether or not you don't like his noise.  He likes it, and he doesn't like the car so we can piss off I guess.   

We made pretty good time to Draper Utah....but in the midst of all of this desert nothingness there is this super rad looking waterslide extravaganza right next to the hotel,  of course the kids ask, of course Mom and I say no, and of course they are devastated.   But hey! There is a pool at the hotel.   But only after they eat, and wait the hour.   

Finally everyone but Mom is in swimsuits because I wanted her to get a little sleep and we go to the pool.   Landon is super over stimulated and shrieking in the pool with acoustic like a frickin' raquetball court.

But then,

Aaron, who is deaf and a blue eyed Thai kid asks me to hold him, I start to rock him and he is signing " scared" I'm signing back "it's ok it's ok."  He lets his legs out and I hold his body out so he can float a little more. I motion for him to tilt his head back, he is a little hesitant but then we relaxes and starts to float while I help a little.   He was so peaceful, his ice blue eyes staring at the ceiling in wonderment.  I had an overwhelming desire to know his thoughts, if he can feel his heart beat in his ears.   

With a moment so sweet, the day is bound to go downhill.   Which it  most certainly did, still totally worth it

No comments:

Post a Comment